- Log in to ICO Fellowship.
- Please check the eligibility requirements for the specific fellowship for which you are applying in the section Available ICO Fellowships.
- Applications in progress may be saved so that you can return and complete at a later stage.
STEP 1. Select a Fellowship:
When you begin your online application, you will be required to identify your home country. The ICO Fellowship(s) you are eligible to apply for based on your home country will be shown. You can select only one fellowship to apply for.
STEP 2. Upload documents for the Eligibility Check:
The Eligibility Check is a part of the online application. You will be asked to provide information to determine if you are eligible to apply for the ICO Fellowship you selected.
As part of the Eligibility Check, you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Scanned copy of the photo page of your Passport.
- Scanned copy of your Ophthalmology Specialization Examination Certificate certifying a successful completion of your residency in ophthalmology. If the certificate is not issued in English, please include a certified translation into English to the original certificate and upload this into your online application file together with the original version as one document.
- Copy of your ICO Examination Certificate(s). The ICO recommends that fellowship candidate pass one or more of the ICO Examinations.
- Department of Ophthalmology Chair’s Recommendation
- Reference letter (of your current or former supervisor or tutor in ophthalmology)
Note: Uploaded file types are limited to jpg, pdf, and png. There is a 20MB size limit for all uploads. Zip files are not allowed.
English translation is required for all certificates and recommendation letter(s) that are not originally issued in English, please upload a copy of the original certificate(s) or letter(s) and certified translation(s) in English, together with the original version in one document.
STEP 3. ICO Eligibility Review:
After submitting all the required information on the Eligibility Check page:
- You should receive an email confirming your Eligibility Check was successfully submitted. If you do not receive this email within one business day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once your documents have been reviewed, within 10 days you receive an email that confirms or rejects your eligibility for the selected fellowship.
- If eligible, you should log in back to your ICO Account and progress with your application.
- If you are not eligible, you may contact email@example.com for more details. The ICO Fellowship team may advise you on how to improve your application.
STEP 4. Apply to a Host Training Center:
If you are found eligible for the fellowship to which you applied, you should select and apply to a Fellowship Host using the online system.
The ICO Fellowship Host Directory lists all Hosts by Name, Medical Center, Subspecialty, City and Country. Select the Host that meets your goals and interests best. Click on the “Select Host” option under “View Host Details.”
Fill out the online form and submit it.
It is recommended that you use this form to explain to the Host the reasons why you are interested to complete your fellowship with this Host and your plans to use the knowledge and skills gained at your place of work.
Applicants may not fulfill fellowships in their home countries (except for ICO-Allergan Advanced Research Fellowship).
Make sure you contact just one Host at a time. Contacting two or more Hosts at the same time is a violation of ICO policy and may lead to immediate exclusion from the ICO Fellowship Program.
STEP 5. Host Application Review:
- Your request will be reviewed by the Host you have approached.
- Allow for two weeks to hear back from the Host before contacting the Host again.
- If the Host accepts your request, you will need to complete the Fellowship Host Acceptance form and forward it to the Host with a request for their confirmation signature – for more details see Step 6.
- If your request is declined or not answered, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that the ICO Fellowship team can assist you to return to Step 4 of the application to select and approach a new Host.
STEP 6. Confirmation of the Fellowship starting date and Application submission:
- If the Host can accommodate your request, you will receive an automated notice by email.
- Contact your Host to agree on a start date.
- Once the date is agreed on, download the Fellowship Host Acceptance Form, insert requested information, and send it to the Host to complete the form and return to you. Upload the completed and duly signed form to your Fellowship application profile. Additionally, please send the completed form to the ICO Fellowship team at email@example.com
- You should receive a confirmation email indicating that your application is complete and is being reviewed. If you do not receive this within one day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are awarded a fellowship, the ICO Fellowship team (email@example.com) will request a copy of your visa and verification of your health and liability insurance coverage as well as a housing confirmation. The ICO Fellowship team will also request your banking information so that bank wire transfers can be correctly routed to your account
- ICO Fellowship Policy
The ICO Fellowship is to commence after the date of issue of the ICO Fellowship Award Letter and the award is valid for a maximum period of 12 months. The ICO Fellowship award may not be used to fund ongoing or completed fellowships.